When the low-lying Kosovo informal settlement was hit with the worst floods in 10 years, causing the Kids Kitchen and Vukuzenzele Crèche to be flooded, we saw generous South African corporates respond with open hearts.
A special thanks to:
• Afrisam Concrete, who donated concrete for the slab.
• SSB Mining, who donated the sand.
• Easy Life Kitchen who donated the kitchen counter units.
• HCI (Hosken Consolidated Investments) and the Platteklip Charity Challenge who funded the building costs.
• Ikhaylami, who offered specialist knowledge and ‘flexibility and patience’ in breakingdown and re-building the structures during the long rainy season.
Disaster struck in late August when Cape Town was hit with the worst flooding in 10 years and the Vukuzenzele Creche and the Kids Kitchen, located on the edge of a polluted vlei, were completely flooded. The City took the opportunity to re-locate 65 families who were also flooded and allocated a new site for the creche and kitchen, however did not provide funds to re-locate. When we turned to local suppliers for specific donations we met with an incredible willingness to assist! We would like to say a big thank you on behalf of the beneficieries who happen to be 60-80 toddlers at the creche and another 150 toddlers who benefit from the daily meals form the Kids Kitchen. While the kitchen was relocated as is, the Vukuzenzele Creche received a 105 sq/m spacious ‘new home’.